Friday, September 12, 2014

Turing Test

The way people talk of the Turing test I think is naive (not inspecting the results of the machine). The real idea I believe comes from the corollary, that being if we could prove humans act programmatically, then would we really consider ourselves conscious/alive? That's an interesting thing to ponder! I believe that would mean that if you could code something that was conscious it would by definition (given you can store and replay state) mean that "life" is just a program running on a computer. I'm just imagining "replaying" the life of a program.  I mean at the cell level it seems to be true (copying with occasional changes), and postulating that the sum is greater than the parts is pretty dumb given no evidence.  But I welcome some new breakthroughs that show we rely on quantum mechanics or some new science (could you imagine the implications from the cell level up?). I put my bets on either we're software running on the universe OS or we have some major breakthroughs ahead of us.

No comments: