Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Repairing Polk RTi12 speakers

So I just got a crazy good deal on some Cherry Polk RTi12s from Fry's (lets just say it didn't break the cost of lunch).  That's the good news, the bad news is that they had many issues:

  • Missing screws (#6-7/8") (really people?)
    • ~$0.50
  • Disconnected speakers (uh?)
    • $0 fix
  • Blown tweeters
    • luckily $0 fix
  • Blown crossover
    • Ok so for people that may have the same problem, I can post a diagram of HF crossover board.  The issue I found was that a 2 Ohm 5w resister had opened (only external sign was some glue had turned brown on the side of the resistor).
    • $3.00 fix after a few hours of disassembling the crossover, tracing circuit, and removing and replacing the same resistor in both speakers.
  • Missing 1 front cover
    • ~$16.00 (not bought yet)
  • Missing front face plates and brackets
    • ~$30
  • Missing rear power ports and brackets
    • ~$40
  • Missing feet and brackets
    • ~$30
  • Punctured mid range speaker
    • Temporarily $0 fix using nail polish
    • Eventually will be a $50 fix
  • Several dings, dents, scratches
    • $0.0, but cost to my pride :)  Perhaps fill and paint with something special.
  • Loose front port cone
    • $0, fixed with my glue gun

So if I were to actually bring this back to all working parts it would be ~$180 total for both.  But for now I've spent ~$100 for both.

So now that they work, the hard part is amplifying these puppies.  I love the tweeters, they're bright and really accurate.  The issue is that there are three woofers, and two mid-ranges, which means I need a LOT of power to get them all moving.

I have a Panasonic SA-XR57, rated 100 wpc RMS x 7 @ 6 ohm, and tested @ 93 watts with 8 ohm load, which I love terribly. It has both bi-wiring (with HF-LF balance) and bi-amping features. This means in stereo mode I can have 2 amps powering the LF, and 1 amp powering the HF.  In this mode the speaker is pretty nice, however I tend to bump up the bass by 1 to sound a little better.  The bad part is that in 5.1 mode I'm back to only 1 amp on HF and 1 on LF (using the unused amps .  In 5.1 I'm not sure if bi-wiring, or bi-amping would be better.

I think to really enjoy this speaker I'd need separate amplifier just for these guys.  I'll post back after I do more research.

update: I finally found my diagram.  Its slightly different from Zach's in terms of some resistor values and inductor values.


update: Here's a crossover diagram from Zach.  He provided me a copy since I think I threw mine away. Thanks!


8 comments:

Alex Mohr said...

btw, feet are out of stock until March. Also, I found the rear screws are #7 7/8" based on the TPI. They're pretty hard to find in small quantities with non ridiculous shipping. I found some here but only in brass: http://www.fmwfasteners.com

Alex Mohr said...

just got the #7s, and I've learned to not trust print out guages :) They're actually #6.

Unknown said...

Hi, I have a pair of rti12s with the same problem. Where were you able to find the HF crossover diagram?
Thanks,
Ken

Alex Mohr said...

Ken: sorry no, but the trick to fixing the crossover is to get a small speaker and put the negative on ground, and with the positive starting at positive, keep going though the circuit until the audio stops. Shoot me an email if you'd like any help!

CraigCA said...

I realize this is a very old blog but there are very few options. I have a pair of Polk Rti12's (black FTR) and on one of them, I get no sound from the tweeter or the 3 lower woofers. Only the two mid speakers are producing sound. knowing just a little North of nothing, I have no idea how to approach this. My initial guess is something to do with the crossover but guessing gets expensive. I like the speakers a lot! They sound just awesome with my Denon AVR-6500 and a nice pair of subs. It's an end game solution for me so I'd love to be able to fix the speaker. If anyone gets this, hopefully you can help. Thank you kindly in advance!

Alex Mohr said...

That's exactly the problem I had. Probably the same resistor blew out

CraigCA said...

Did you fix yours Alex? If so, can you pass on the recipe? I’d be much more than just appreciative!

Alex Mohr said...

Did you read the blog post? :) The answer is there